Ask programmer to write a code and you get:
Ask software engineer to write a code and you get:
- How does it fit in the business process? Are the requirements thought out?
- Are you sure you understand what it will cost?
- Who will support it? What about diagnostics and instrumentation?
- What kind of documentation will it need?
- How might it interact with other code?
- What platform will it run on. Are the scalability issues?
- How might it impact future development? How might it be enhanced in the future?
- Can you find/buy/reuse other software instead?
- And solution…
Just think about who you really need
Source: The Just-in-time Programmer by Dan Appleman.